Important Points on Wheat
- Triticum aestivum
- Class :- Gramini
- Indian wheat variety- Triticum aestivum & T. Sphaerococcum. These varieties found in Mohanjodro culture.
- At present T. Aestivum wheat is grown in all over India.
- This variety is developed by Dr. Norman E. Bourlog in Mexico.
- First Japan taken out the dwarfing gene from Norin series wheat which is “Norin-10”.
- First in 1967 with the help of American “Rofellar Fooundation” India imported 100 kgs of Mexican wheat like Sonora 64, Sonora 63 & Lerma Rojo.
- IARI bought five varieties- Lerma rojo 64-A, S-63, Sonora-64, Mauo-64 & S-227.
- In 1965-66 Lerma Rojob64-A – Single gene dwarf variety, & Sonora-64 – Double gene dwarf variety has been imported from CIMMYT.
- In 1965 these varieties has been distributed which effects ‘Green Revoulution” in India in wheat production.
- Macroni Wheat (T. Durum)
- Used in Non-irrigated condition
- Suji is made from it.
- Also called Hard Wheat.
- Grown in M.P, some parts in Gujarat, Rajasthan, Maharashtra & Karnataka.
- Wheat are grown in Oct-Nov and in dec , it is grown according to variety.
- Seed rate:-100 kg/ha,
- By dibbler technique seed rate – 20-30 kg/ha
- Zero tillage fertilizer seed drill are used for sowing wheat.
- Nitrogen -100-120 kg/ha, phosphorus- 50-60 kg/ha, potash- 40-50kg/ha
- Phalaris minor is so called as Gehu Ka Mama is a weed.
- Isoproturone is used for this weed.
- In wheat
- Protein – 8-15%
- Carbohydrates – 1.5%
- Fat & Minerals – 2%
- Glutein is a type of protein in wheat.
- Vitamin B1,B2,B3 & E is destroyed during grinding of wheat.
- According in area of production Wheat is in 2nd.
- 50% of area and 70% of production in country is in rabi season.
- Wheat is the major role in Green revolution.
- Critical stages of irrigation of wheat
- CRI (crown root initiation)- 21 days after sowing.
- Tillering stage
- Late jointing stage
- Flowering stage
- Milking stage
- Dough stage. (when kernels become tough)
From all of the above stages CRI is the most important stage.
- New varieties of I.C.A.R-
VL-829, H.S-420, H.S-335, D.W.B-14, N.W-2036, M.P-4010, HI-1500.
- I.C.A.R scientists have developed new variety of “Pusa Baker” of wheat
- This variety is standard for biscuits according to European countries.
- This variety is useful mainly for hilly regions.
Wheat production Wheat productivity
(2012) (2012) (2008-09) (2008-09)
Country State Country State
China U.P U.N Punjab
India Punjab France Haryana
U.S.A Haryana China U.P